|The Hangings is now a
footpath and cycleway between Parkeston Road and
Dovercourt Station. Originally part of the route of
the Eastern Counties Railway, the line opened in 1854.
With the opening of Parkeston Quay, however, the line
was diverted in 1882 away from The Hangings to serve
the new Parkeston Quay Station and the track through
The Hangings was removed. Two bridges remain on
Parkeston Road just short of the A120 roundabout, one
carries the road over the former railbed and the other
over Dock River. For a more complete history of the
'Mayflower Line' railway click here .